Thursday 27 December 2012

My Journey through the lens

Author of Journomotortianment Robert Mabusela, capturing a lineup of BMW E30`s during the Soshanguve Spin Kings road show. Photo by Bruce Mbingeleli @B_Mbingeleli of Innovativemotoring
@ROBERT_MABUSELA

My passion for photography and journey as an aspiring photographer started after one of my photo`s got published in a community Newspaper. The photograph was taken during a Spin City event that was hosted in honor of King of Reverse and One "RN1" Bongos Coka, at the Shoshanguve Spinning Palace. This was published along an article I wrote, at that point I was still new to the game but through the performances put up by Spinners like Bongani Makhubo, Tshepang Mkhonza, and Zwikhodo "Zikho" Nembambula at the event, I knew that Bongos was a major player in the game.

Today photographs are different, I look at photos with a different eye than what I would have in the past, but most important my career towards being a Motoring Journalist and Professional Photographer has been influenced by three things that keep my finger on the shutter. Journalism, Photography and the Subjects in the photo, as well as those who view the captured moments. Studying Journalism is what introduced me to photography and since my enrollment at TUT there is no turning back. The different elements of photography and what's produced when they are combined to make a good photo are a constant reminder of how one should improve.

Having the most influence and being the most important contribution towards my passion are the subjects involved in the photo and at the event or location. Yes, it's my passion for photography but it is influenced by others. For example take a photo of a car spinning, you will notice how plain it is as the main focus will be on the car. On the other hand if you have a crowd in the background and they have smiles on their faces or a certain facial expression then that's photography, pity one can't say I took a "photography".

Apart from the main reason why photographers capture photographs are the elements which add detail to the photo, attending Spin City events doesn't mean your main focus is on the car. Action is the most important, not only action from the vehicle itself but it can be that of a facial expression by the driver or a certain stunt being captured that will tell a story of the spinners performance.

It has been two years since I've had my first camer, a Nikkon Cool Pix 8mp camera and yes excuse the pun but it does take cool pix. My most captured car is the BMW E30 also known as the “Gusheshe”, in the pits, on the pitch and on the streets of Soshanguve. Touching on Soshanguve, the township and the people I have met will always be what I look at and say that's where it all started. I have had the opportunity if not a privilege to spend some time with the Soshanguve Spin Kings, who are one of my favorite Spinning Crews both on and off the lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment